The foundation stone for the Rappenhof (lit. The Black Horse Estate) was laid as far back as the early 17th century, in 1604 by Hieronymus Hirsch, the forefather and progenitor of our family, who was to pave the way for a more than 400 year-old winemaking tradition. The name of the estate originates from the time of the current owner´s great-grandfather, who loved to ride through the Rheinhessen vineyards on his chaise (open top carriage) drawn by black horses. 12 generations later, the estate is now in the hands of Klaus Muth. With the knowledge of over 400 years of winemaking, traditional values are preserved and qualities continually improved.